Randy Moss took in his second morning practice out of six today, so the roster of who was missing is pretty familiar:
DE Richard Seymour
CB Shawn Springs
TE Benjamin Watson
CB Jonathan Wilhite
LB Tedy Bruschi
DE Jarvis Green
DE Le Kevin Smith
DL Myron Pryor
OL Mark LeVoir
OL Ryan O'Callaghan
OL George Bussey
Those are, of course, in addition to the PUP and NFI players.
* The Patriots had a visitor today: former Denver coach Mike Shanahan, whom Bill Belichick has a great deal of respect for, was on the sidelines and took in the session. As the players huddled up before practice got underway, Belichick called Shanahan into the huddle to address the players. Shanahan, who has said that he will be coaching in 2010, also spent time chatting with Floyd Reese and Robert Kraft.
* Andrew Walter was on the field, and was wearing number 16, which means Shun White is now wearing number 15. Walter got in a few reps, and his first pass of camp went to new/old teammate Moss -- the two played together in Oakland. Walter definitely has a good arm, but obviously he only got his playbook yesterday, so he has a lot to digest in a short amount of time.
* In the one-on-one tackling drill, Laurence Maroney did well versus Jerod Mayo, Fred Taylor juked Vinny Ciurciu, Pierre Woods got White down with a move that bordered on the illegal horsecollar, Tank Williams got David Thomas down, Terrence Wheatley as the ballcarrier got by Julian Edelman, Darius Butler as the ballcarrier beat Eric Alexander badly, and Taylor put a great stutter move on Gary Guyton that left Guyton flat-footed.
* It appeared that today was a "rest the arm" sort of practice for Tom Brady, as he mostly handed the ball off in 11-on-11 work.
* Brian Hoyer got a lot of time under center, though at one point he and Russ Hochstein had to do a lap for fumbling a snap.
* Hoyer set the offensive players cheering at the end of the session -- the ball was placed at the 2-yard line, and Hoyer completed a quick pass to Joey Galloway that was a little low. Galloway bobbled a bit, but got the catch and the touchdown, and the celebration was on. A minute later, the entire defense -- coaches included -- had to run a lap, and Belichick could be heard yelling and telling them not to cut any corners along the way.